Warehouses play a key role in the supply chain. A lean, efficient warehouse keeps businesses running efficiently; therefore, warehouse organization can make or break a business' bottom line. Effective warehouse design certainly encompasses layout and space optimization, but it also includes warehouse labeling and racking, warehouse management systems (WMS) with technology, plus designated picking and receiving areas. Warehouses that are clean and well organized are ready to receive merchandise, prepare orders, load and ship containers, and keep customers happy.
Unfortunately, organizing a warehouse efficiently is easier said than done. Each decision should support the organization's goals while being aimed at increasing productivity, optimizing space, reducing costs, and delivering superior customer service. If you're struggling with how to organize your warehouse more efficiently, consider the following tips from industry leaders and warehouse authorities.
1. Keep your warehouse clean.
2. Adopt lean inventory practices.
3. Top Priority: organize for safety.
4. Assess shelf and space utilization.
5. Keep track of inventory error rates.
6. Organize the shipping station for efficiency.
7. Regularly train warehouse staff.
8. Implement cycle counts.
9. Adopt technology.
10. Use a good inventory control system.
11. Take advantage of automatic data collection technology.
12. Barcode everything.
13. Utilize your space properly.
14. Track results and evolve your warehouse organization.
15. Consider vertical storage.
16. Use slotting.
17. Apply logic to pick processes.
18. Evaluate picking methods.
19. Reduce travel time.
20. Make room for receiving..
Get your Free Complete Article Today!