FREE open source phone system demo:
Asterisk is an open source framework for building communications applications. Asterisk turns an ordinary computer into a communications server. Asterisk powers IP PBX systems, VoIP gateways, conference servers and more. It is used by small businesses, large businesses, call centers, carriers and governments worldwide. Asterisk is free and open source.
What Does Asterisk Do?
Asterisk is a communication system that has the following tools
- Drivers for various VoIP protocols.
- Drivers for PSTN interface cards and devices.
- Routing and call handling for incoming calls.
- Outbound call generation and routing.
- Media management functions (record, play, generate tone, etc.).
- Call detail recording for accounting and billing.
- Transcoding (conversion from one media format to another).
- Protocol conversion (conversion from one protocol to another).
- Database integration for accessing information on relational databases.
- Web services integration for accessing data using standard internet protocols.
- LDAP integration for accessing corporate directory systems.
- Single and mult-party call bridging.
- Call recording and monitoring functions.
- Integrated “Dialplan” scripting language for call processing.
- External call management in any programming or scripting language through Asterisk Gateway Interface (AGI)
- Event notification and CTI integration via the Asterisk Manager Interface (AMI).
- Speech synthesis (aka “text-to-speech”) in various languages and dialects using third party engines.
- Speech recognition in various languages using third party recognition engines.